Tuesday, September 7, 2010
How long Seth Meyers has been the anchor on Weekend Update
He's starting his 5th season (so he's only had 4 seasons), but this will be only his 2nd full season as the sole anchor (a little longer than that, cuz Amy Poehler left mid season).
Amy Poehler was co-anchor for 5 seasons. Horatio Sanz co-anchored with Amy after Tina and before Seth for 1 season (05-06). Tina Fey was co-anchor for 6 seasons. Jimmy Fallon was co-anchor for 4 seasons. Colin Quinn was the sole anchor for 3 seasons (those were terrible). Norm MacDonald was the sole anchor for 4 seasons. Kevin Nealon for 3 years. Dennis Miller for 6 years (85-91). Christopher Guest for 1 year (84-85). Brad Hall was 2 years (82-84). Mary Gross and Brian Doyle-Murray co-anchored for 1 year (81-82). Jane Curtain mostly co-anchored for 4 years (76-80). Bill Murray co-anchored for 2 years (78-80). Dan Aykroyd co-anchored for 1 year (77-78). Chevy Chase anchored for 2 years (75-76).
Jane Curtain is a complicated story. She took over for Chevy Chase when he left in 76. Then in the next season (77-78), she co-anchored with Dan Aykroyd. Then they switched from Dan to Bill Murray and Jane co-anchored with Bill. So Jane has 4 years in her, but 1 wasn't a full year and 3 were as the co-anchor.
Kevin Nealon did the Subliminal News (check it out if you haven't).
So the answer to who anchored the longest (including as co-anchor):
1. Dennis Miller (6 seasons)
1. Tina Fey (6 seasons)
2. Amy Poehler (5 seasons)
3. Jane Curtain (4 seasons)
3. Norm MacDonald (4 seasons)
3. Jimmy Fallon (4 seasons)
3. Seth Meyers (4 seasons)
4. Kevin Nealon (3 seasons)
4. Colin Quinn (3 seasons)
5. Chevy Chase (2 seasons)
5. Bill Murray (2 seasons)
5. Brad Hall (2 seasons)
6. Dan Aykroyd (1 season)
6. Mary Gross (1 season)
6. Brian Doyle-Murray (1 season)
6. Christopher Guest (1 season)
6. Horatio Sanz (1 season)
Seth needs two more seasons (including this coming one) to tie with Dennis and Tina; 3 to win. Both Dennis and Tina were co-anchors in their first season, so each was only on SNL for 6 seasons. (So Seth and most of the others have the disadvantage that their first year on SNL was not as an anchor.)
Tina Fey was the only featured player to start as an anchor. (But she was the head writer at that point, so obviously Lorne was willing to take a chance with her.)
The only family members to both be anchors were Billy Murray and Brian Doyle-Murray (brothers). There have been other relatives as players, but not anchors... Belushis, Murrays, Aykroyds, Sweeneys, and Elliotts. They were all siblings except for Chris and Abby Elliott (father/daughter).
It's interesting that a lot of people thought that having Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon co-anchor was a new idea, but that first started in 1977 (3rd season) with Jane Curtain and Dan Aykroyd and continued with Jane and Bill Murray.
So if we were going to rank them for how long they anchored only as sole anchors (not co-anchors), then we have:
1. Dennis Miller (6 seasons)
2. Norm MacDonald (4 seasons)
3. Kevin Nealon (3 seasons)
3. Colin Quinn (3 seasons)
4. Chevy Chase (2 seasons)
4. Brad Hall (2 seasons)
5. Jane Curtain (1 season)
5. Seth Meyers (1 season)
5. Christopher Guest (1 season)
So if we're going by that scale, Seth doesn't have a chance. There's no way he's got 5 more years in him. =^)
Enjoy this great song that shows how Kristen Wiig has a great singing voice! I wonder if Will Forte's "I'm sorry; can'...
This is one post with all of Kristen Wiig's sex scenes from her films. In 2010, Kristen Wiig was in MacGruber, which had a weird sex s...
Check them out here: http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2010/02/18/new-international-poster-images-for-drew-barrymores-whip-it These are for the...
UPDATE: Added three more images. Originally posted 1/22/10. ============== These are from the Mike Judge film (the creator of Beavis and ...
Cute but odd... "Portlandia" Season 2 Premiere Screening Actress Kristen Wiig attends the "Portlandia" season 2 ...
At the beginning of this episode, Kristen Wiig walks by while Tom delivers a pickup line, and then at the end of his pickup lines, we see Kr...
Kristen Wiig: The Anti-Comedian Kristen Wiig's Saturday Night Live characters respond to social discomfort by talking too much and ...
They released the trailers for "How To Train Your Dragon" ... a new Kristen Wiig cartoon coming in 2010. It's just a short te...
So that adorable little shite-talking alien PAUL (Seth Rogen) looks to get under the skin of us Earthlings come March 18th. As such, Empir...
Kristen Wiig Daily - WHAT'S HOT
- News - Nominated for 2 Peoples Choice Awards!!!
- Photos - Kristen & Will Forte
- Videos - "Paul" update (Kristen does improv)
- Video - fakes orga$m$ (Tamara Parks)
- Video - Trina (New Secretary)
- Video - Belle (Beauty & the Beast)
- News - Our Whip It Movie Review (photos)
- News - Kristen & Taylor Swift
- News - #13 most successful SNL film star
- Videos - Extract clips and photos
- Photos - Whip It with Drew Barrymore & Ellen Page
- Video - Gilly with Drew Barrymore (10/10/09)
- Interview - Jenny Slate's curse & new Judd movie
- Video - Whip It interview and clips
- Photos - McGruber movie
- Video - SNL Promo with Drew Barrymore
- Article - Kristen writes about her favorite purse
- Interview - Whip It (written interview)
- Photos - Darth Vader Gown (Emmys)
- Videos - Bored to Death (TV show)
- Videos - On Jimmy Fallon (3/31/09)
- Video - Miss Ice Tia: Deep House Dish (10/3/09)
- Videos - Whip It clips
- Video - Mom talking to Megan Fox
- Video - Suze Orman (10/1/09)
- Videos - Madonna (9/17/09)
- Videos - Ignores Jenny Slaters flubs
- Video - Flight Attendants
- Video - Judy Grimes (9/26/09)